Having a Murray cod aquaponics system is a nice idea in generating good returns out of fish. It is a popular new practice and a highly profitable business for aquaculture. Several fish species can be used in the aquaponics system. Some inputs are required to keep the system performing like air pumps and feed that is given to the aquatic animal. Murray cod is used in different aquaponic systems.
Pros of Murray Cod in Aquaponics
- Water temperature: 46 to 72 Farenheight or 8 to 24 Celsius.
- PH: 7.0 to 8.0
- If the tank is the right size and water conditions are kept well Murray Cod can survive up to 50years.
- Small Murray Cod can peacefully co-exist with other fish like Golden and silver perch.
- The water source for the operation does not require chemicals e.g pesticides.
Cons of Murray Cod in Aquaponics
- At large sizes, they are not compatible with other fish since they consume anything that fits in their mouth.
- They grow very fast to large sizes so it is important to grow them in large tanks.
- They tend to consume a particular food, not just any food.
- They are highly susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections at high stocking densities.
Generally, Murray cod are freshwater species and will not tolerate high salinity levels which the common mistake many people tend to make. Having a Murray Cod aquaponics system is a viable project, especially when people know how to maintain a Murray cod aquaponics system.
I have written a book that contains all the information you need to get started with aquaponics.
Don’t be the person that makes painful mistakes during your first aquaponics build!
It has 265 pages filled with information about aquaponics. It’s available in paperback or eBook format.
You can buy it here on Amazon.com
Nick loves building, managing and giving others advice on aquaponics. He created this website to do just that. He is the author of Aquaponics for beginners. If you got a question contact him here or read more on the about page here.